Monday, October 1, 2018

Ash- Response 1

One thing I noticed about this book that I particularly liked is that it is subtle in its portrayals of same-sex couples. At one point, the main character, Ash, goes to a celebration and she sees two women separate themselves from the crowd and kiss before going back in. But, rather than some big reaction, there is nothing; Ash just starts thinking about something else. Later, she is talking to a woman, Kaisa, who tells Ash her favorite fairy tale, one in which a woman falls in love with another woman. But, again, the focus is on the story itself and not on the women lovers. I really like this subtlety because I think that there is often a lot of drama surrounding same-sex couples in novels; that kind of shock and awe that comes with something that is outside the norm. This novel shows same-sex relationships as a normal, even mundane, part of society; that those women are no different from Ash's sister, who has so far spent the entire novel in search of a husband. I think that this is important for young adults to see, whether they are a part of the LGBTQ+ community or not because it helps to normalize same-sex couples so that there is no greater reaction than there would be to hetero couples. Although I haven't finished yet, I can say that already I would want to have this book in my classroom library.

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen the film Hearts Beat Loud? I had a really similar feeling when I saw the scene where the main character falls in love or crush with the woman who becomes her love interest. It's a little shy and curious and utterly lovely. I'm glad you noticed this part of the story-telling Kaitlin. It suggests the author is making some intentional moves to portray the partnerships that way. I'm glad you already found a book that will make it onto your classroom bookshelves. Does this text do other things well? Is the narration compelling or the characterization effective? Can you imagine talking about some of the craft elements of the text too?

    ReplyDelete

The Gay Metropolis Response 1

This book is a history of gay life in America starting in the forties and going through the nineties (the book was written in 1997). When I ...