Friday, September 7, 2018

Technology in the Classroom and for Social Justice

I believe that, although technology has caused the Digital Divide, it will also be the thing that demolishes it. As far as the use of technology in the classroom goes, as much as I myself enjoy traditional methods, I think that it is inevitable that tech will eventually take over the classroom. I think that there are benefits to that as well as drawbacks; students will be given more control over their learning experiences, which will likely promote students' success, but those students in impoverished areas where tech is not as readily accessible may be left behind. And that, I think, is where technology for social justice comes into play. While change never happens overnight, particularly, it seems, when it comes to using technology for good, having apps like Streetwyze are a fantastic place to start. If communities can be better documented, then they can be better helped. If the communities are improved, the schools will follow, and, eventually, tech will be made available to every student. Now, obviously this is a very slow process, particularly when not all communities are so accepting of developing technologies, but I think that this the best way to start working to close that Digital Divide.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. I'm curious about your statement that technology caused the Digital Divide. I'd love to see you unpack that further. In the articles you've read, I saw that access to technology is the key feature, but things that hinder access aren't the technologies themselves, or are they? I appreciate how you connected the new reading to the theme of the digital divide. I'm going to encourage you to keep looking for connections and ways to expand your thinking on this issue.

    ReplyDelete

The Gay Metropolis Response 1

This book is a history of gay life in America starting in the forties and going through the nineties (the book was written in 1997). When I ...